As organisations emerge from business disruption, it is not just how we lead our team members to maintain and grow their capabilities, your own leadership ability will also need reinforcement to ensure we underpin the values and mindset critical to achieving the kind of growth and fighting spirit we will now need to see.
The key behaviours of a Leader
As a leader, there are key behaviours that help us to define and exhibit the working practices we seek to establish and reinforce in our teams.
- Create a shared vision and agree new expectations – Finding the best way to move forward.
- Model the way with a human touch – Be accessible, visible and empathise with how people are feeling.
- Focus on solutions – Actively solve problems and encourage a solutions mindset.
- Enable each other to act virtually – Understand what people are working on, empowering, encouraging and motivating them to act in the best way.
- Praise often and celebrate success – Remind and reinforce what success looks like. Find new ways to celebrate success in the new world.
You are vital to the success of your team and the wider business overall. You are relied upon to nurture emotional resilience within your teams and inspire the motivation and determination to explore new possibilities in the face of adversity. To ensure our organisations thrive, we need leaders who can see and enact a new future.