Traffic Monitoring Officer
Brighton & Hove City Council
£10.41 per hour
Temp 3 months
** This role is required to work at weekends and outside normal working hours as part of a 24 hour rota **
Purpose Of The Job
To provide, as part of the Traffic Control Centre Team:
- A communications "hub" for the Parking Services and Traffic Management Teams and our partners 24 hours a day 7 days a week
- Real-time traffic management and control
- Remote control of car park management and customer service
- Parking equipment fault monitoring
- A first point of contact with neighbouring authorities' traffic control centres, the Police and the local transport news media.
- CCTV monitoring of road network To deliver the Traffic Management objectives of tackling congestion, keeping traffic moving, providing access and delivering excellent customer service.
- To undertake the duties relating to the enforcement of moving traffic and parking restrictions and the Highways Permit Scheme within the city by CCTV.
- To monitor the road networks (via CCTV, bus radio, local news media, the Parking Enforcement Team, the Police, neighbouring Transport Control Centres etc) to identify instances of disruption, such as road traffic accidents, road works, adverse weather conditions, events and other causes of traffic congestion.
- To accurately input contravention details in to a Penalty Charge Notice processing system. This includes accurately observing and recording contraventions including the capture and review of evidence, written logs and data.
- To provide customer service and security / fault monitoring at the council's connected off-street car parks (principally larger Pay on Foot sites) using CCTV and 2-way audio links to provide customers with assistance, including local information for visitors.
- To enforce, through CCTV any moving offences or parking restrictions that the Council has gains or seeks powers to take forward e.g Red Routes.
- To respond appropriately to instances of traffic disruption signs primarily using Stratos to activate alternative traffic signalling strategies and set variable message signs. This would require liaison with and assisting the Traffic Signals and UTC Team, as required, in the planning and execution of signalling strategies
- To produce evidence and reports of Traffic Management disruption to the road network, taking appropriate action where necessary and reporting them to the Traffic Control Centre Team Leader.
- To alert response teams (eg Maintenance Team, Security, Police etc) and other support services to attend at site for customer service, maintenance, security and other issues, as required
- To produce still or moving images of contraventions including the preparation of evidence for Adjudication.
- To deal with requests from members of the public, police or colleagues to view CCTV/digital evidence alongside a wide range of enquiries and complaints from the general public taking appropriate action to resolve as necessary.
- To liaise with other areas within the council and with outside bodies as required.
- To respond appropriately and sensitively to a wide range of enquiries and complaints from members of the public, other officers, contractor staff and other stakeholders taking appropriate action to resolve as necessary ensuring that protocols for communication are effectively established and implemented.
- To assist in the management of any contracts, projects and service level agreements required for the operation of the Traffic Control room, car parks and other assets
- To deputise for the Control Centre Team leader as required.
- GCSE standard in English and Maths or equivalent
- Hold a nationally recognised CCTV qualification or be willing to study for and obtain such a qualification (training available)
- General understanding of relevant moving traffic and parking polices.
- Knowledge of a range of software packages, such as Word and Excel
- Experience of working in a customer service environment
- Experience of operating traffic control systems eg. Stratos (training available)
- Experience of operating CCTV equipment
- Knowledge of legislation and regulations regarding Traffic Enforcement, Traffic Management and CCTV operations.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent and confident communication skills dealing with senior managers, the public, stakeholders, contractors and other staff.
- Ability to accurately observe and record details.
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines.
- Organise own workload with minimal supervision
- Highly skilled at problem solving.
Please be aware this advert will remain open until the vacancy has been filled. Interviews will take place throughout this period, therefore we encourage you to apply early to avoid disappointment.
Tate is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.
your application has been submitted