Brighton & Hove City Council
WFH but requirement to go on visits within Brighton
£11.50 per hour
Full Time Temp - 2 months
Purpose of the Job
To provide high quality housing support and advice to clients in temporary accommodation with a wide variety of support needs, including complex financial, health and social issues. We are currently looking for a Welfare Officer but with a specific focus on supporting homeless residents in emergency accommodation in the city to get vaccinated against Covid-19.
- To assess the needs of clients in temporary accommodation in order to facilitate appropriate support. Refer to statutory and voluntary agencies as appropriate.
- To work with households, support agencies and accommodation providers to reduce the likelihood of eviction due to anti-social behaviour and other breaches of licence agreement.
- Refer to supported accommodation or update existing referrals with any new information on support needs and risks.
- To work with customers to carry out financial assessments, providing general debt and benefits advice to maximise their incomes in order to reduce the likelihood of arrears and eviction.
- To advise on housing options to facilitate move on from emergency accommodation.
- To assist in inspections of temporary accommodation, reporting disrepair or other concerns to accommodation providers.
- To work within established and developing Council policy in order to assist in meeting short and long term objectives and strategies of the Housing
- Department, particularly around reducing the use of temporary accommodation.
- To maintain accurate records of client interventions and actions with or on behalf of the client, in line with Council policy.
- To work with clients so as to ensure that the client receives all necessary support and entitlements, whilst maintaining a focus on the Council's objectives and priorities.
- To participate in staff meetings, training and development activities and supervision sessions.
- Knowledge and/or understanding of housing/homelessness issues.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation such as Homelessness Act, Mental Health Act, Care Act, Children Act
- Understanding and/or knowledge of issues relating to the service user group and the protection of vulnerable persons.
- Knowledge of benefits and welfare reform
- Experience of inter-agency working.
- Experience of working within a pressured environment and with sometimes challenging behaviours.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work independently, as well as a flexible and effective team member.
- Ability to work under pressure in a sometimes stressful environment.
- Ability to deal with conflict/aggressive behaviour maintaining professional boundaries.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Effective problem-solving and negotiation skills.
- Ability to assess and review client support needs.
- Ability to manage and plan own workload ensuring all deadlines and targets are met.
- Ability to use supervision in a proactive manner to address issues with workload, training, pressure etc.
Please be aware this advert will remain open until the vacancy has been filled. Interviews will take place throughout this period, therefore we encourage you to apply early to avoid disappointment.
Tate is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.
your application has been submitted